this song lasts forever NEWS - 3.2.10
HeadCount and NRDC Action Fund are giving away a "Best of Bonnaroo" download compilation to drive action on climate change. The compilation features 17 different live performances from the festival, including Wilco, Pearl Jam, Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews Band, Death Cab For Cutie, Ani Difranco, Phish, Gov't Mule, O.A.R., moe., Raphael Saadiq, Bob Weir & Ratdog, The Disco Biscuits, The Decemberists, My Morning Jacket, Guster and Phil Lesh & Friends. To download, simply send an original or pre-written email to your Senator, President Obama or your local newspaper.
While All Points West's future is not looking too bright (this year at least), there are a couple new festies on the radar for this summer. Nateva Music & Camping Festival will be held July 2 - 4 at the beautiful 100-acre Oxford Fairgrounds, 45 minutes from Portland, Maine. Artists include Furthur, The Flaming Lips. Lotus, Zappa Plays Zappa, Keller Williams The Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi Band, Moonalice and more additions coming soon.
Next up is the North Coast Music Festival to be held Labor Day weekend, September 3 - 5, in Chicago's Union Park. No artists have been announced yet, but the organizers say the fest will feature "the world's greatest electronic and rock & roll artists.
Chicago-based prog rock jamband Umphrey's McGee covered Phoenix's "Lisztomania" at their February 25 show at Nokia Theatre in New York. Thomas Mars' vocal prowess is quite evident, but it was a good effort overall.
The Disco Biscuits had a little fun with the pre-order of their forthcoming album, Planet Anthem, due out on 3/16. Fans could order signed copies of the album, along with 32 combo options that included tickets to their CD release party at Theatre of the Living Arts in Philly, guitar/bass/drum/keyboard lessons with a band member, shots of Jameson with Magner, tennis vs. Barber, writing the band's setlist for a night, party at your house featuring the Biscuits (for a mere $25k)...and we even got an indirect shout out with one of the options - interviewing Magner on your dorm room toilet for your school newspaper ($1k). Ha, happy we got that one for free! Be sure to check out the album next month.
SXSW is right around the corner...stay up-to-date on your RSVP's with the Austinist's list of day shows, after parties and more! Roxwel's day parties will be announced very soon!
Outside of SXSW, there are several good shows coming up this week and next here in Austin. Check out Dark Star Orchestra at Stubb's on 3/6, Brothers Past at The Parish on 3/11 and Tea Leaf Green at Stubb's (indoors) after the Citizen Cope show on 3/12.
Furthur, comprised of Phil Lesh, Bob Weir, Jeff Chimenti (RatDog, The Dead), John Kadlecick (DSO), Jay Lane (RatDog) and Joe Russo (The Duo, Bustle In Your Hedgerow), have announced their summer tour dates:
• 2/26/10 Fri Mohegan Sun Casino Uncasville, CT
• 2/27/10 Sat Mark G Etess Arena Atlantic City, NJ
• 3/02/10 Tue Auditorium Theatre Chicago, IL
• 3/03/10 Wed Auditorium Theatre Chicago, IL
• 3/05/10 Fri 1st Bank Center (Formerly The Odeum) Broomfield, CO
• 3/06/10 Sat 1st Bank Center (Formerly The Odeum) Broomfield, CO
• 3/08/10 Mon Portland Memorial Coliseum Portland, OR
• 3/12/10 Fri Bill Graham Civic Auditorium San Francisco, CA
• 6/25/10 Fri Highland Bowl Rochester, NY
• 6/26/10 Sat MCU Park Brooklyn, NY
• 6/27/10 Sun MCU Park Brooklyn, NY
• 6/29/10 Tue Penn's Peak Jim Thorpe, PA
• 6/30/10 Wed LeLacheur Park Lowell, MA
• 7/03/10 Sat Gelston Castle Estate Mohawk, NY
• 7/04/10 Sun Nateva Music & Camping Festival Oxford, ME
• 7/05/10 Mon The Green at Shelburne Museum Shelburne, VT
• 7/08/10 Thu Artpark Lewiston, NY
• 7/09/10 Fri All Good Festival @ Marvin's Mountaintop Masontown, WV
• 7/10/10 Sat Mann Center for the Performing Arts Philadelphia, PA