There are at least four known artists that share the name Obscura:
1) A technical progressive death metal band from Germany.
2) A death-thrash metal band from Germany.
3) A death-thrash metal band from Ecuador.
4) A death metal band from Sweden.
1) German technical progressive death metal band Obscura was founded in 2002 by guitarist/vocalist Steffen Kummerer. The band caused a stir when they - out of nowhere - toured as support for Suffocation on their European tour in 2006 and when they independently released their debut album "Retribution" that same year.
In late 2007 - after several line-up changes - Obscura announced drummer Hannes Grossmann (ex-Necrophagist) and fretless bass player Jeroen Paul Thesseling (ex-Pestilence) as new permanent members. In early 2008 the new line-up was completed with the addition of Christian Muenzner (ex-Necrophagist) as permanent guitarist.
Obscura released its second full-length album, "Cosmogenesis" (feat. special guest appearances by Ron Jarzombek [Watchtower, Blotted Science] and Tymon Kruidenier [Cynic, Exivious]) in early 2009 via Relapse Records. Re(de)fining their approach, Obscura continue to create their vision of the future of extreme metal - a symbiosis of death, thrash and black metal merged with progressive elements and technical as well as compositional demand.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.